Sunday, January 13, 2013

Phantoms alumni 1/14

The Philadelphia Flyers opened training camp Sunday and a couple names that Adirondack Phantoms fans recognize well were thrown around in the players' post-practice remarks to the media.

Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier, Adirondack's top two scorers, were discussed for varying reasons. Schenn, a natural center, was in the spotlight because he played right wing on the Flyers' top line with Scott Hartnell and Claude Giroux, a spot some thought was reserved for Jakub Voracek.

Others were comparing 2012 first-round pick Scott Laughton with Couturier, Philadelphia's 2011 first-round pick. You'll recall Couturier won a spot on the Flyers with his play in training camp last season. Laughton is trying to do the same thing. If he does, maybe it increases the odds that Adirondack gets one of its call-ups back. The Flyers were kind enough to pass along some quotes from some players at practice today, so I've compiled the Adirondack-friendly ones below.

Center Sean Couturier

Scott Laughton is in your spot from last year. What’s the most important thing for him to do right now?
I think you’ve got to approach it one day at a time. If you have a good day you’ve got to forget it and move on, have another great day the next day. If you have a bad day, you’ve got to forget it and just have a better day the next day. That’s the way I approached it last year and things went well as the year went on.
How was your experience with the Phantoms?
It was good. Playing in a great league, obviously it was one of the best in North America with all of the guys that were sent down. It was fun to get on the ice and play in a competitive league.
On avoiding the sophomore slump
I think I know a little more what to expect, but at the same time, I take nothing for granted. I’ve got to work hard and try to get better. I’m still a young player and I have a lot to learn. Hopefully I can improve my game and get better as the year goes on.
On playing the power play point with the Phantoms
Yeah, in juniors I played a little bit of point. It wasn’t really nothing new, but it’s been a while and you have to get it back.
Center Claude Giroux

On Brayden Schenn’s play 
It was good. He’s been playing a lot, a lot of ice time down there [with the Phantoms]. So we’re looking forward to seeing what he can do. Last year in the playoffs he played well for us, so we’re expecting more.
General manager Paul Holmgren 

On Scott Laughton 
I had the opportunity to see Scott a couple times this year. He’s an impressive young player that plays the game properly in his own end and skates real well. He brings an element of toughness to his game. He’s really good on face-offs. I think this week is good for him, and we’ll see where it goes.
Is he a long shot to make the team?
What did I say about Couturier last year? Highly unlikely? I don’t know. I think it was important for us to bring him in and just be a part of this process because we missed it in the fall. Obviously he’s a young player in our organization that we think highly of, and we wanted to have him take part in this.
Coach Peter Laviolette

On Scott Laughton
I thought Scott did a nice job out there. I've only seen him play once before in a game competitively. We went up and watched him play a junior game this year. System-wise, he seemed to understand. He’s a smart kid, a smart two-way player. He came out here and he certainly didn’t look out of place.
Center Scott Laughton

On Couturier’s rookie year and similarities
I haven’t talked to him yet. I’m sure I will. I watched him in the playoffs last year and he was huge for the Flyers. I don’t think the age is a really big thing right now, and I just want to focus on trying to make this team.
How realistic is it that you start the year with the Flyers?
I’m not sure right now. I just want to play my game and do whatever it takes on the ice, block shots or take a hit to make a play or anything like that. I just want to play my game and just do whatever I can. 
Have you had a chance to look around and realize you’re playing in the NHL?
Yeah. It’s definitely eye-opening. You watch these guys on TV all the time and see what they can do. But you’ve got to get into it quick and you can’t be too mesmerized. You’ve just got to play your game and it’ll take care of itself. 
On the Flyers using so many rookies last year 
Yeah, it’s exciting. They have a lot of young guys and the young guys have been great for them. So I just want to continue that and hopefully make the squad and impress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home